About UCEA Awards
The UCEA awards program encourages and recognizes efforts and excellence within the educational leadership community. Award nominations should be submitted to UCEA Headquarters by the deadlines listed below. A UCEA committee appointed by the Executive Director will review and evaluate the nominees. This committee will reserve the right to present this award to multiple candidates on any given year, or conversely, not to present this award should nominees not fully meet the selection criteria.
- The Excellence in Educational Leadership Award, given to practicing school administrators who have made significant contributions to the improvement of administrator preparation. Plenum Representatives, or their designees at each member university, are responsible for making the award presentation at an annual departmental, college, or university ceremony.
- The William J.Davis Award, given annually to the author(s) of the most outstanding article to appear in Educational Administration Quarterly. This award is presented at AERA each year.
- The Paula Silver Case Award, given to an author of the most outstanding case published in the last volume of the UCEA Journal of Cases in Educational Leadership. Nominations are not submitted for this award.
- Edwin M. Bridges Award, given by UCEA annually for original, outstanding work in the area of research and/or development that contributes to our knowledge and understanding of how best to prepare and support future generations of educational leaders.
- The Jack A. Culbertson Award, given to a professor in the first six years of his or her career for an outstanding scholarly accomplishment or contribution.
- The Master Professor Award, given to an individual faculty member whose record demonstrates excellence in at least 4 of the following five areas: teaching, mentoring and advising, academic leadership, supporting diverse students and colleagues, and professional service.
- The Jay D. Scribner Mentoring Award, given to a educational leadership faculty who has made substantive contributions to the field through mentoring the next generation of scholars into roles as university research professors, while also recognizing the important role(s) mentors play in supporting and advising junior faculty.
- Exemplary Educational Leadership Preparation, given by UCEA to a program within colleges and departments of education that demonstrates exemplary educational leadership preparation. The award is inspired by UCEA’s core mission to advance the preparation and practice of educational leaders for the benefit of all children and schools, and the recipient(s) will be given a significant cash award. Please visit the specific award page for more information as the nomination requirements for this award differ from the others listed below. Letter of Intent to Apply Deadline: to be announced, 2018; Materials Submission Deadline: to be announced
- The Hanne Mawhinney Distinguished Service Award, UCEA’s leadership has found it appropriate to honor UCEA faculty for their outstanding service to the organization and the field. Ensuring the viability of the field and the UCEA consortium depends upon the generous donation of time and expertise like winners of the Hanne Mawhinney Distinguished Service Award.
Nominations for the Bridges, Campbell, Culbertson, Master Professor, Scribner, and Exemplary Educational Leadership Preparation awards are welcome from faculty member(s) of UCEA member institutions and partner institutions. Nominations should include electronic copies of the following:
- the candidate’s curriculum vitae;
- a letter addressing the contributions of the nominee relative to one or more of the selection criteria;
- support letters from individuals who have been directly mentored by the nominee, and/or individuals who can attest to the nominee’s mentoring strengths, are strongly encouraged.
Please send nominations electronically, following the directions under each award title. Follow the links above to be directed to individual awards pages.